A creamy quick dinner dish, this sun dried tomato chicken pasta dish can be prepared in less than 30 minutes
This recipe comes together quickly and is ready in under 30 minutes. Make yourself a plate of this creamy pasta for the ultimate comfort food!
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
This is a favorite family meal that isn’t super complicated to make for a scrumptious weeknight dinner. It is perfectly creamy and has all of the right flavor combinations.
With the zesty flavor of the sun dried tomatoes paired with parmesan cheese and topped off with a bit of cream cheese and heavy cream, it’s pretty decadent.
So yes, I wouldn’t say that this recipe is super healthy. But it sure hits the spot when you need an extra delicious bowl of comfort food!
And it is a simple dish that the entire family will enjoy. This creamy tomato chicken pasta recipe also makes a great date night meal to share with your loved ones!
What is needed to make this recipe
This sun dried tomato pasta doesn’t require anything fancy. Just a few simple ingredients to make this yummy recipe come together.
Seriously, the sun dried tomato sauce is the ultimate star of this recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- chicken breasts
- heavy cream
- garlic cloves
- tomato paste
- jarred sun dried tomatoes in oil
- chicken broth
- sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese
- penne pasta
- salt & pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes also make an excellent addition if you like a bit of heat!
How to make sun dried tomato chicken pasta
This recipe is fairly simple to make. First you cook the chicken in butter and a little bit of the olive oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Then while the chicken rests, you start to put together the sauce to a bit of simmer.
Onion cooks in the skillet with the remaining olive oil, then the garlic cooks briefly. Followed by the sun dried tomatoes and tomato paste.
And then from here the creamy sauce is made. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, heavy cream and cream cheese. Once the cheese has melted and is well combined, add the chicken.
Finally, add cooked pasta of choice. For this recipe, I recommend a thicker, shorter pasta. Something like a penne or rigatoni. It pairs really well with the sauce and chicken.
Serve with salt & pepper to taste if desired, fresh herbs on top, or crushed red pepper.
(see below for the printable recipe card for complete instructions)
🍝 Helpful Tips
This recipe comes together quickly. It is helpful to have all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go beforehand. This will help ensure that the recipe comes together easily and is timed properly.
Make sure that you salt your pasta water! About a 1/2 tablespoon would work for 1 pound of pasta in this recipe. This will help the entire dish is well seasoned. And cook the pasta al dente to avoid over cooking.
What to make with this sun dried tomato pasta
This recipe is enough to make a meal all on it’s own. But I serve about 1 cup per person. And it pairs really nice with a fresh salad.
A homemade slice of Italian Bread Loaf or garlic bread will make a nice addition too.
Here are a few more serving suggestions:
- a delicious antipasto
- Cesar salad
- favorite red wine or pinot noir, chardonnay, petite syrah, riesling
- a crusty bread like our homemade artisan loaf
More creamy pasta recipes
Here are a few more comforting and creamy recipes you’ll love!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Sun dried tomatoes are packed with good for you anti-oxidants! They are a great addition to a healthy Mediterranean diet. Just be sure to check the label and ensure there aren’t unhealthy ingredients added. A good quality olive oil is also important to look for when they are jarred. Making your own at home isn’t complicated and a good way to ensure that they aren’t filled with bad ingredients.
Leftover pasta can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week. To reheat, add the leftovers to a large pan and heat over low/medium on the stove top, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Yes! Be sure to select boneless and cook them through and slice the cooked chicken. Then follow the recipe as usual.
want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead!
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes drained of oil and julienned
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 pound penne pasta
- In large stock pot, boil water. Once boiling cook the pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to salt the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into strips. Add the 1 tablespoon of oil and butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and let it cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes (so it gets a nice sear) over medium high heat. Stir/flip it and cook it for another 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest a bit, but don’t drain the pan.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and saute the onions. Cook until translucent, and then add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in the sun dried tomatoes & tomato paste, ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning and incorporate well. Add the chicken broth and bring to simmer.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, heavy cream and the cream cheese and combine well. Once the cheese has melted and is well combined, add the chicken. Pour over the pasta and serve immediately.
- Salt and pepper to taste. If you really want to kick things up a notch, add some crushed red pepper when serving. It really elevates the dish!
Leave a Comment