This recipe comes together quickly and is ready in under 30 minutes. Make yourself a plate of this creamy sun dried tomato chicken pasta for the ultimate comfort food!
It is perfectly creamy, has all of the right flavor combinations.
With the zesty flavor of the sun dried tomatoes paired with parmesan cheese and topped off with a bit of cream cheese and heavy cream, it’s pretty decadent.
So yes, I wouldn’t say that this recipe is super healthy. But it sure hits the spot when you need an extra delicious bowl of comfort food!
How to make sun dried tomato chicken pasta
This recipe is fairly simple to make. First you cook the chicken in butter and a little bit of the olive oil. Then while the chicken rests, you start to put together the sauce.
Onion cooks in the skillet with the remaining olive oil, then the garlic cooks briefly. Followed by the sun dried tomatoes and tomato paste.
And then from here the creamy sauce is made. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, heavy cream and cream cheese. Once the cheese has melted and is well combined, add the chicken.
Finally, add cooked pasta of choice. For this recipe, I recommend a thicker, shorter pasta. Something like a penne or rigatoni.
What is needed to make this recipe
This sun dried tomato pasta doesn’t require anything fancy. Just a few simple ingredients to make this yummy recipe come together.
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- chicken breasts
- heavy cream
- tomato paste
- jarred sun dried tomatoes in oil
- chicken broth
- sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese
- penne pasta
More creamy pasta recipes
Here are a few more comforting and creamy recipes you’ll love!
What to make with this sun dried tomato pasta
This recipe is enough to make a meal all on it’s own. But I serve about 1 cup per person. And it pairs really nice with a fresh salad.
A fresh slice of Italian Bread Loaf or garlic bread will make a nice addition too.
This recipe comes together quickly. It is helpful to have all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go beforehand. This will help ensure that the recipe comes together easily and is timed properly.
Make sure that you salt your pasta water! About a 1/2 tablespoon would work for 1 pound of pasta. This will help the entire dish is well seasoned.
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes drained of oil and julienned
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 pound penne pasta
- In large stock pot, boil water. Once boiling cook the pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to salt the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into strips. Add the 1 tablespoon of oil and butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and let it cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes (so it gets a nice sear) over medium high heat. Stir/flip it and cook it for another 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest a bit, but don’t drain the pan.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and saute the onions. Cook until translucent, and then add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in the sun dried tomatoes & tomato paste, ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning and incorporate well. Add the chicken broth and bring to simmer.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, heavy cream and the cream cheese and combine well. Once the cheese has melted and is well combined, add the chicken. Pour over the pasta and serve immediately.
- Salt and pepper to taste. If you really want to kick things up a notch, add some crushed red pepper when serving. It really elevates the dish!