This Creamy Italian Meatball Soup makes the perfect comforting meal for the family. No joke, my four children devoured it! It is ultra scrumptious, cheesy, and amazingly creamy.
This soup recipe is perfectly hearty to warm you up on a cold winter’s night.
Or anytime you want an amazing comfort food recipe!
Pair it with a fresh baked loaf of Italian bread for the ultimate meal.
How to make this creamy Italian meatball soup
It is not overly complicated to make, which makes it perfect for a weeknight meal! And you probably have most of the ingredients at home already.
You’ll start by making the meatballs! Gather all of your ingredients, add to a large bowl and mix up with the ground beef until well combined.
Be careful not to overwork the ground beef or the meatballs will come out tough. Shape into meatballs – this should make anywhere from 15-20 meatballs depending on how large you shape them.
The meatballs will cook in a skillet over medium heat, browning on all sides.
Meanwhile, prepare the soup ingredients and sauté the vegetables in a large stock pot or dutch oven until translucent. Simmer with the meatballs and broth until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy.
Add remaining ingredients. (complete recipe is below in a printable recipe card).
What is needed for this recipe
- ground beef
- garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- Italian bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- pinch of salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium onion
- celery stalk
- garlic cloves
- tomato paste
- chicken broth
- whole cherry tomatoes
- penne pasta
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- heavy cream
More soup recipes you will love:
Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the ground beef, 2 minced garlic gloves, egg, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and pinch of salt. Form about 15-20 meatballs.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs, gently roll over to cook on all sides so they hold their shape.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until translucent and become soft. About 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, chicken broth, tomato paste and cherry tomatoes until well combined.
- Add the meatballs to the pot. Bring soup to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes burst and the carrots are soft.
- Add in the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Once pasta is cooked, stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
More soup recipes: