This creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a perfect comforting recipe. It is ready in under 30 minutes, making it a great weeknight meal. Made with yummy Italian sausage and parmesan cheese, its definitely not lacking in flavor!
This post has been updated from its original publish date of December 9, 2019. It has been updated to provide better photos, additional helpful information and step by step instructions.
What you’ll love about this recipe:
- KID FRIENDLY – This creamy soup only requires a few simple ingredients, a short simmer time. And you’ll have a savory meal that the entire family will enjoy!
- HEALTHY – Packed full of healthy real food ingredients like fresh tomatoes & kale. This flavorful and nutritious recipe is ultra comforting.
- EASY – This soup recipe is perfect for a cold fall or winter evening. It is super warming and comforting. And the best part, it is ready in under 30 minutes. But don’t let that short cook time fool you, this Italian sausage tortellini soup is not short on flavor.
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium onion
- celery stalk
- garlic cloves
- ground mild Italian sausage
- tomato paste
- chicken broth (homemade broth is an excellent option!)
- whole cherry tomatoes
- shredded Parmesan cheese – freshly shredded
- kale – use your favorite, ours is Tuscan kale
- package of 3 cheese tortellini
- heavy cream
→ Be sure to check out the full recipe and ingredient list in printable recipe card below.
When making this soup recipe, I recommend getting all ingredients prepared first. It will save time and make the recipe easier to cook.
It’s a simple recipe and comes together quickly. Begin by sautéing the veggies in olive oil. Then browning the Italian sausage.
You’ll slowly incorporate the broth and tomato paste.
Then add the kale & parmesan cheese.
Finally add the tortellini & heavy cream.
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Store in an airtight container, we recommend a glass storage container.
To warm up, slowly heat up over low heat on the stove top.
want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup onion chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 carrots sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes kept whole
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 9 oz cheese tortellini
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Prepare all the vegetables. Finely chop up 1/2 onion. Cut the celery stalk in half lengthwise and then chop into small pieces. Slice the carrots thinly. And chop up the garlic and kale.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions, celery, and carrots until soft and the onions start to become translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute about a minute.
- Add in the ground Italian sausage and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and chicken broth. Add the tomatoes and simmer just until the tomatoes begin to burst open. Add the salt.
- Add the kale and parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Gently add in the tortellini. Simmer on low according to package instructions, about 7 minutes or so. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve immediately.