This creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a perfect comforting recipe. It is ready in under 30 minutes, making it a great weeknight meal. Made with yummy Italian sausage and parmesan cheese, its definitely not lacking in flavor!
This soup recipe is perfect for a cold fall or winter evening. It is super warming and comforting. And the best part, it is ready in under 30 minutes.
But don’t let that short cook time fool you, this Italian sausage tortellini soup is not short on flavor.
This creamy soup only requires a few simple ingredients, a short simmer time. And you’ll have a savory meal that the entire family will enjoy!
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. To warm up, slowly heat up over low heat on the stove top.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
When making this soup recipe, I recommend getting all ingredients prepared first. It will save time and make the recipe easier to cook.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion – about 1/2 cup chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 carrots sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 9 oz package of 3 cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Prepare all the vegetables. Finely chop up 1/2 onion. Cut the celery stalk in half lengthwise and then chop into small pieces. Slice the carrots thinly. And chop up the garlic and kale.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions, celery, and carrots until soft and the onions start to become translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute about a minute.
- Add in the ground Italian sausage and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and chicken broth. Add the tomatoes and simmer just until the tomatoes begin to burst open. Add the salt.
- Add the kale and parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Gently add in the tortellini. Simmer on low according to package instructions, about 7 minutes or so. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve immediately.