Homemade artisan loaf bread is one of the easiest bread recipes that you can make. And with only 4 simple ingredients, it is a recipe you’ll want to make & save for a quick & easy bread recipe!
Mix it up and let it rest either overnight or during the day with enough time to bake up for your evening meal.
This post has been updated from its original publish date of March 15, 2021. It has been updated to provide better photos, additional helpful information and step by step instructions.
Homemade Artisan Bread
We love this homemade bread recipe because it is super simple to make. And it’s a great starter recipe if you’ve never made your own bread before.
This recipe is perfect for beginners because it is a no-knead bread recipe.
It is perfectly rustic with a crispy crust, and delightfully soft inside! This artisan bread recipe makes a great addition to any comforting meal. Or serve alone with a pat of butter. So good!
This recipe is incredibly simple and you’ll only need 4 simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- all purpose flour (this one is fantastic in this recipe!) – if you have bread flour handy, even better!
- sea salt
- active dry yeast
- warm water (lukewarm or just slightly warm to touch)
A dutch oven with lid is needed for this recipe. And I like to use parchment paper for extra easy clean up, but isn’t required. Simply greasing the pot well will work just fine.
Use a wooden spoon to mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well incorporated, but be sure not to over mix.
Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 8-12 hours at room temperature.
If I am making this ahead for the next day, I simply mix it before bed and bake it in the morning to serve with breakfast.
Otherwise, I will mix up a batch of bread and allow it to rest in the pantry during the day to bake up for dinner.
Hint: the longer you allow it to sit, the better the flavor!
After the artisan loaf has risen for 8-12 hours, gently fold and shape into a loose ball. The top will be slightly dry from sitting out so long. Simply, roll it into a ball and place the seam side down in the dutch oven while baking.
This dough will be sticky. Sprinkle your hands lightly with flour to help prevent the dough from sticking.
Add the dough ball inside of a greased dutch oven or use a piece of parchment paper to line the inside.
Place the lid on top of the dutch oven and bake.
After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for additional 15 minutes to give the crust a nice golden brown color.
Allow the bread to cool before slicing. You could move it to a cooling rack or cutting board to cool before cutting the bread.
And be sure to use a sharp knife or bread knife to slice the loaf.
more favorite bread recipes
Here’s a few of our favorite bread recipes that we think you’ll love too!
If you’re ready to get started with making sourdough bread, you’ll love this easy einkorn sourdough start recipe.
want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead!
Artisan Loaf Bread Recipe
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- 1 ½ cups water
- Simply mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until well incorporated, but be sure not to over mix.
- Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 8-12 hours at room temperature.
- After the artisan loaf has risen for 8-12 hours, preheat the oven to 450° F. Gently fold and shape into a loose ball.
- Grease inside of the dutch oven. Add the dough inside of the greased dutch oven or use parchment paper to line the inside. Place the lid on top of the dutch oven and bake in the preheated 450 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
Leave a Comment