This honey bbq sauce recipe is perfect for chicken, burgers, ribs, pulled pork, and so much more. It is slightly tangy and sweetened with honey instead of processed sugar!
This bbq sauce isn’t super complicated to make and is ready in about 20 minutes.
Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe
This recipe comes together quickly and it simmers for only 15 minutes before it is ready to be paired up with your favorite meat!
I whipped this up quickly before making my Ninja Foodi BBQ Shredded Chicken recipe the other night. And the combination was perfect!
It made an excellent bbq shredded chicken sandwich for dinner. The flavors were pretty amazing.
What ingredients are used?
With a handful of pantry staples, you can have your own homemade bbq sauce. A sauce that is free of things like high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, or other processed ingredients.
This honey bbq sauce recipe uses:
- tomato paste
- yellow & dijon mustards
- apple cider vinegar
- and water
How do you store homemade bbq sauce?
Since this bbq sauce is free of preservatives, it can not be stored in the refrigerator long term. But we can’t keep it around here for very long!
So, I’m sure you will have the same experience.
It will last in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Use a good storage container with an airtight lid. I like to use mason jars with plastic storage lids.
What other recipes pair well with this sauce?
I love to serve this sauce over pulled pork, shredded chicken, ribs or burgers. And any meat or vegetables that are grilled or smoked.
These side dishes will pair really well with your main dish.
And if you’re making a basic salad, make your own homemade buttermilk ranch dressing to go with it! Super yummy!
Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- In a saucepan saute the onions in the butter until translucent. Add the garlic and salt.
- Stir in the tomato paste, yellow and dijon mustards. Stir in the honey, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and water until well combined.
- Simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Allow to cool before moving to a storage jar or container.
- If desired, you can blend with a stick blender to smooth out the ingredients, but it isn’t necessary.