This ultra-creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pizza is topped with Italian sausage, caramelized onions, ricotta cheese, and a sprinkling of fresh shredded mozzarella cheese.
It’s easy to make for a weeknight, but special enough for dinner guests.
Sun-dried tomato pizza with Italian sausage
This tasty pizza is loaded with the flavors of summer, with deliciously flavored sundried tomatoes. It is also one of my favorite fall comfort food recipes to make!
We love the combination of sun-dried tomato pesto with creamy ricotta cheese. And the sweetness of caramelized onions with savory Italian sausage.
Yum, my mouth is watering for another bite!
What you’ll love about this recipe:
- KID FRIENDLY – This is definitely kid approved.. for that matter, it’s husband approved too!
- EASY – Best of all, it comes together quickly to make a super flavorful family dinner. Perfect for busy weeknights!
- INEXPENSIVE – It is quick and easy, but will remind you of eating out at a big fancy pizza bar, but with a fraction of the cost.
This delicious pizza recipe only requires a few simple ingredients
- Pizza dough — I always recommend homemade pizza dough, but you could substitute for a pre-made one if preferred.
- ground Italian sausage — mild or spicy
- onion — use white, yellow onion…or substitute with red onion if that’s what you have on hand.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8.1 oz jar of sun-dried tomato pesto — this will replace the usual tomato pizza sauce with tons of delicious flavor!
- ricotta cheese
- fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
Make a homemade pizza like this authentic Italian pizza dough recipe. It will take about an hour or so for the pizza dough to rise.
Use a rolling pin to roll out the pizza crust to fit into a large sheet pan.
In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and caramelize the onion, set aside. Brown the Italian sausage, drain and set aside.
Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on top of the rolled out pizza dough.
Dollop the ricotta cheese on top of the pesto. Press down with the back of a wooden spoon to spread it a bit, but not well enough to stir or fully combine with the pesto.
Add the cooked ground sausage to the top of the pesto & ricotta. Add the caramelized onions to the top. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
Bake in the preheated 475 degree oven for between 13-15 minutes or until the edges of the pizza are nice and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
If desired, sprinkle with a bit of red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. Top with a little fresh shredded parmesan or pecorino cheese for an extra boost of deliciousness.
How to store and reheat leftovers
If you have leftover pizza, store in the refrigerator. Use an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add to a preheated 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, or until warmed through.
want more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can discover more homemade recipes from my homestead!
Sun-dried tomato pesto pizza with Italian Sausage
- Prepare your favorite pizza dough. Roll out to fit inside of a large rimmed sheet pan.
- In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and caramelize the onion, set aside. Meanwhile in another skillet, brown the Italian sausage, drain.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on top of the rolled out pizza dough.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese on top of the pesto. Press down with the back of a wooden spoon to spread it a bit, but not well enough to combine with the tomato pesto sauce.
- Add the cooked ground sausage to the top of the pesto & ricotta. Add the caramelized onions to the top. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated 475° oven for between 13-15 minutes or until the edges of the pizza are nice and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.