Flavorful and incredibly satisfying, this easy Greek Lentil Soup recipe is incredibly easy to whip up. A perfect one-pot soup that simmers slowly and is ready in about 40 minutes. This soup is a perfect winter or fall comfort food.
With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll have a nutritious and hearty meal that isn’t overly complicated to make. I love to make this soup year round for lunch or a quick healthy dinner.
More Soup Recipes
- Italian Meatball Soup with Pasta and Beans
- Ninja Foodi Chicken Soup Recipe
- Easy Egg Drop Soup
- Bone Broth
Easy Greek Lentil Soup Recipe
I know many people are put off by lentils because they are pretty bland on their own.
However, with this soup, you won’t find it wanting in flavor! With the combinations of fresh garlic, tomatoes, Greek inspired seasonings, and quality olive oil.
Quality olive oil is key to making flavorful dishes. And quality doesn’t have to be super expensive.
One thing that I always look for is olive oil that is certified by the California Olive Oil Council (COOC). This way I know that I’m purchasing authentic olive oil.
I like Wild Groves olive oils. Very flavorful and amazing quality!
Tips for Making This Soup
Rinse and pick the beans clean prior to adding them to the soup pot. I’ve found mini stones in lentils and peas before!
Lentils do not require soaking prior to cooking like beans would. They cook easily within 30-40 minutes, depending on the method of cooking.
This Greek lentil soup stores well in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. I will make a batch of it and enjoy for several days of lunches during the week. I just heat it up in a pan on the stove top.
Greek Lentil Soup
- 1 cup of lentils see note below
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium/large onion sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Primal Palate Super Gyro seasoning see note below
- 1 teaspoon salt or less to taste
- Peel and cut up the onion into thin half moon slices.
- With the skin still on the garlic, take the blade of the knife and smash the garlic cloves. This will make the removal of the skins much easier.
- Remove the skin and chop up the garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a large stock pot and over medium-high heat, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low-medium simmer. Leave pot uncovered and simmer for about 40 minutes.
The lentils should be soft, but not mushy.
- Serve and enjoy.