This homemade guacamole recipe is easy to put together with simple fresh ingredients. And let me tell you, this version is the real deal.
It is perfect for an anytime snack or addition to your favorite wrap, sandwich, or tacos.
The best homemade guacamole recipe
Growing up in Southern California, I have a deep love for a really good guacamole. And this is it!
I don’t know about you, but I prefer mine without tomatoes. And often time recipes will call for pico in the guac. Honestly, I’m not a fan.
So this version skips that.
This recipe has a kick of spice from fresh jalapenos. And gets a mix of flavor from real lime juice and fresh cilantro. Yum!
How to tell if an avocado is ripe
Of course fresh avocados are a must when making a good guacamole.
When selecting avocados, you can test their ripeness by color (sometimes) and by how they feel.
The majority of the time, a ripe avocado should be dark skinned. Sometimes they can be lighter depending on the variety.
But they will be lightly soft, but not mushy.
Living in the middle of nowhere on a cattle ranch, fresh organic avocados can be hard to find. I source mine from Azure Standard with my monthly order.
Ways to use fresh avocado
Something about a platter filled with tortilla chips surrounded by a big bowl of fresh guacamole just says “summer time” to me.
Other ways we love to use avocado around here:
- for wraps or fresh sandwiches
- with breakfast burritos
- piled on bbq chicken nachos
- with a fresh Tex Mex or southwestern style salad
- on top of a burger
- and on homemade street tacos!
So many yummy possibilities! What’s your favorite?
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- fresh squeezed juice from half of a lime about 2 teaspoons
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- small or half of a large jalapeño finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Finely the chop the red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the avocados. Squeeze the fresh lime juice over top.
- Add the chopped red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic powder, and the salt with the avocado and lime juice. Combine well.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.