This Mediterranean Breakfast Panzanella is a great simple breakfast using fresh ingredients. Combine it with whole wheat bread toasted in olive oil, and you’ll have a super comforting meal.
Serve for breakfast, brunch, or a simple light dinner. And pair it with a fried egg for a super nutritious dish!
Fresh Mediterranean Breakfast
What is a panzanella? If you’re unfamiliar with this Tuscan recipe, I’ll give a brief overview. It is a fresh chopped salad dish made with fresh tomatoes, onions and stale soaked bread.
This recipe is inspired by the classic dish, but elevated for breakfast time.
I combine fresh spinach with tomatoes, red onions with minced garlic and olive oil. And whole wheat bread toasted in olive oil.
Then topped with a fried egg and drizzled with a bit of balsamic vinegar.
It’s simple and super delicious…which allows for the flavors of the veggies to shine!
More delicious egg recipes:
Mediterranean Breakfast Panzanella Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 6 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- medium red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 eggs
- ½ - 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the bread into cubes, about 1 inch in size. Slice the red onion thinly, the cherry tomatoes in half, and mince the garlic.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and cook until golden brown. Stir occastionally to prevent burning and to toast evenly on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the red onions, tomatoes, minced garlic, and the spinach. Stir occasionally until the spinach is wilted. Stir in the toasted bread cubes and set aside.
- In the skillet, fry the eggs until the eggs & yolks are cooked to preference. Add a drizzle more of olive oil if needed to prevent sticking while cooking the eggs.
- Plate up the veggies and top each with a fried egg. Drizzle with a bit of the balsalmic vinegar.
- Salt & pepper to taste.