Goats are just plain awesome. I’m going to share my reasons why we find them so fascinating and why every homestead needs goats.
But first a little background.
I haven’t always been a country girl. I was big city living until I met and married my husband. And, I didn’t start small or simple, either. We are deep in the country. About 40 minutes or so from the “big town” This town has a couple of grocery stores, a hospital, but that’s about it. No Starbucks or Target or Whole Foods.
It’s a nice little town, but still doesn’t have the conveniences that I was used to. The even bigger town with more shopping and a Starbucks located inside of the Target, which you know that I have to visit on occasion. Because, #MomLife. Ha. Well, that’s a good couple of hours away.
Where was I going with this anyway? Oh, yes. I started my path in the country life and homesteading with purchasing our first set of baby chicks. I’ve learned a lot over the past few years. And we now have a variety of animals.
Enter goats. We’ve had goats on the homestead a couple of years now. Like all things we do, we didn’t go simple. We purchased several pregnant nannies. Did I mention I was very pregnant at the time? By the time they were ready for labor, so was I. Yeah…that was fun, but hopefully we plan things better in the future. Ha.
I have grown to love goats very much. Here’s just a few reasons why I find them awesome.
1. They are totally cute. I mean, just look at these guys/gals in this post.
2. Most goats are affectionate and let you give them snuggles.
3. Goats prefer to browse brush, weeds, shrubs and plants. See my post about all of that here. So, they are awesome at cleaning up your land. While they won’t give you a manicured lawn, they have cut mowing time for us a ton this summer.
4. They provide fertilizer and mulch – if you compost. Sorry, no picture for that one! Ha.
5. They are entertaining. Goats have such amazing personalities and are so much fun to watch.
6. Most goats are great with children. They are generally kind, loving, and patient.
7. They are super friendly!
But, they don’t play fetch, but it sure is fun to watch our toddlers interact with them.
One of our children trying to play fetch with Millie….
8. If used for dairy, they give milk and you can make cheese, butter and yogurt.
9. They are vocal and we have regular conversations with them.
10. Our goats are great protectors; they warn us if someone is approaching the driveway and if there are predators near. They have also been good protectors for our chickens.
These are just a few of the reasons why goats are so awesome and why we have grown to love them! And why every homestead needs goats.
More Goat Posts: Homestead Goats