Let’s face it, not all of us are creative in the costume design area of life. And truthfully, I don’t always have time for extra projects. One thing that I learned in this stage of motherhood is, it’s ok to not be able to accomplish everything. And so, I am planning our All Saint’s Day activities without the need of dress up and costume design.
This mama ain’t got time for that! Yes, its a fun memory for the children to have. I have very fond memories of dressing up as a nun or great saints like St. Therese of Lisiuex (my Confirmation patron) when I was growing up. My mom was pretty awesome with her seamstress talents and I hope that over time I’ll be at that level.
Next year, I plan on adding in the costume portion of our All Saint’s Day activities. But for now, here’s what we do.
All Saint’s Day Activities for Young Children
My children are still very young so we keep things very simple with our traditions. As they get older, I add in more fun celebrations that were a part of my family’s traditions when I was growing up.
Here’s a list of activities that we are doing at our little party.
- Draw a Saint’s name out of a basket to use as a patron for the remainder of the year. We also draw one at our Epiphany party.
- Decorate and carve pumpkins. Catholic Cuisine has some awesome examples here.
- My children love to color! Here’s some beautiful Saints coloring pages from Catholic Playground.
- And then there’s this gorgeous Saint coloring book!
- These Saint dolls are too cute! I’m pretty excited to be able to sit down and make these with my kiddos this year.
- Here’s a great list of Saint inspired games!
- Read from the Lives of the Saints.
Watch Saint Movies
We aren’t huge TV watchers around here, but it is a nice treat to watch some inspirational films on special feast days.
Here are just a few of our favorites for the whole family!
- The Song of Bernadette
- Francis of Assisi
- The Reluctant Saint
- The Day the Sun Danced
- Bernadette: the Princess of Lourdes
- Diego: Messenger of Guadalupe
And What’s a Party without Food?
Am I right? Here’s a few Catholic inspired recipes for your All Saints Day party!
- All Saints Day Recipes
- All Saints Cakes
- Fasting & Feasting for All Saints and All Souls Days
- Feastday Cookbook great recipes for the whole year!
- Easy Party Food Ideas for All Saints Day
More Liturgical Posts:
What are some ways you celebrate All Saints Day at home?